Tuesday, September 13, 2011

On my mind tonight........

*First of all, I'm still in awe of the convenience foods that America has to offer. Tonight I made a dish that I make a lot in Mozambique but I did it in half the time because of easy things - like already grated cheese. I also forget that there are no recipes off limits to me now because I can get all the ingredients here - with no substituting! Although, I will admit I still made "homemade" buttermilk when I made some rolls last week, but that's because I would never use a whole container of buttermilk if I bought it.

*We watched the final episode of "Kate Plus 8" tonight. It did not make me sad. I watched an episode of Sister Wives online today. That is one strange show about polygamists in Utah.

*Luke is playing football and the workouts are completely wearing him out! He has grown out of the jeans he was wearing in early summer - in the waist and in length.

*Last Friday night we went to the local high school football game. This was the first time my kids had been to a football game - ever! I enjoyed sitting in the stands and watching people - cheerleaders, dance line, my kids, all the people around me - some dressed to the hilt in team colors, others wearing shorts and t-shirts. And I actually watched the game, too. (I love football!) I almost felt like I was on another planet, though. We have been gone from American life for so long that to be a part of something so American felt a bit weird. But a good weird.

*We were on our first stateside assignment in 2001. I'll never forget where I was on Sept 11 and what events unfolded as we stared at the TV screen for hours, holding my 6 week old baby. So it has been especially meaningful to be back in the U.S. for the 10th anniversary.

*Nothing compares to Blue Bell Homemade vanilla ice cream and Hershey's chocolate syrup.

*I may never ever lose weight and may have to be buried in a coffin the size of a grand piano!

*So many people complain about Walmart but I still love it. Even when I can't find the item I'm looking for. I love it because it does not smell like the canned food aisle at Shoprite in Maputo (which for some odd reason smelled like a rotting dog ALL THE TIME), I can buy fresh, homogenized, pasteurized milk at any time day or night! There are so many types of bread and tortillas to choose from. There is not only sour cream AND cream cheese on the shelves but several different brands to choose from. (I rarely buy those items but when I needed them in Mozambique I always had to hunt all over town for them.) Sometimes I feel like I walk around smiling at things like the squash and the strawberries and the ALREADY CLEANED FOR ME lettuce and baby spinach in a bag and the cereal options and frozen waffles that I did not have to make from scratch!!!

*I called Coleson last night at 11:00 p.m. and he was at Taco Bell with his friends, scarfing food. *sigh* It made me miss college. He's having a great time - enjoying (most of) his classes, playing intramural football, hanging out with new friends, and missing a certain girl in Oregon.




1 comment:

Deena said...

Thanks for sharing! I love hearing about your experiences and reflections about being stateside. I can't remember how long this assignment will be, but I hope you enjoy every day of it!