Monday, January 31, 2011

Sunday Letters

As a regular follower (but not always a regular commenter) of my friend Meredith's blog, I loved reading her post Sunday Letters, yesterday. She was joining in with her friend Deidre who started writing letters to her family each Sunday. Here she explains how it got started. After reading their letters to their families I knew I wanted to join in. I realize that it's already Monday morning where I am, but that's OK.


Dear Will- O,
I'm sorry that Friday was such an awful day for you. Your hand got hurt at school, you felt embarrassed in front of a teacher and you received a lower grade in Art on your report card than what you thought you deserved. What you don't realize is that a B- is OK. Daddy and I were so thrilled with all A's and B's on your report card. Do you realize how far you have come in being upset over a B- ?? I am very proud of your maturity. I loved how you told me this a.m. that you loved me and appreciated all that I do for you. And you hugged me twice before you went to school this a.m.. I love that even at 16 you love to play. I hope you always love to play. Thank you for playing with your younger siblings. They really look up to you. Of course, now that you are the tallest person in the family we ALL look up to you! :-) Thank you for having a good attitude about going to a new church yesterday and having to sit in the adult Sunday school class, then READING a scripture passage out loud in Portuguese. I was SO proud of you. You sounded like a pro, like it was no big deal, even though I knew inside you were a nervous wreck. You did well, son. I loved seeing how you shook hands, smiled and greeted people yesterday and acted so mature. I love you and I am so proud of you.

Love,
Mom






Dear Abs,
As much as I hate Daddy being out of town overnight, I love that you always want to sleep with me when he's away. I loved laying in bed Saturday a.m. talking with you, all cuddled up under the covers with your stuffed animals. I loved how you told me about everyone in your class. Your descriptions made me laugh. You are growing up and sounding so "old" when you talk. I loved how you showed me how to fix Ariel's hair and how you got so excited when we found all the old children's books that I had stored. I love that you love to read, even if I had to remind you not to read Ramona, Age 8 during church last night. I enjoyed hearing you outside on Saturday and Sunday playing rugby with your brothers. You are one tough little girl and because of it you get hurt a lot, and right now you have the bruises to show it! But I'm also glad you are a girly-girl. It shows when you always take a purse to church, full of girly-items, including lip gloss that you re-applied several times during church yesterday. I'm so thankful to have a daughter. I love you and I'm so proud of you!
Love,
Mom







Dear Coleson,
You have been 18 for 24 days now and I still can't believe it! I admitted to you yesterday that I've been a bit down and depressed lately. I am SO excited that you are about to graduate from high school and start a new season of your life, but it also makes me sad that the 6 Lechners won't all be residing under the same roof forever. I love us. I love our inside jokes and how we know how to push each other's buttons. I love how we argue over what movies we are going to watch and where we are going to eat for Sunday lunch. All of that will go on, but without your contribution. That makes me sad. BUT....I am BEYOND THRILLED that you got your acceptance letter to Ouachita Baptist University this week and that you have decided to go there. Daddy and I have tried so hard not to push our alma mater. I am full of joy knowing that you made that decision because you feel like that's where God wants you. I am so excited about the new friends you will make, all the things you will learn in your classes, the teachers that you will enjoy, dorm life and jamming with your friends. I know that playing guitar will always be a part of your life. I was very proud of you last night as you played for Sunday night fellowship - the lone instrument! You played so well and with confidence. I can never strum like you. I believe God has gifted you with this ability and I pray that you play (and sing) for His glory. I'm excited about your future, Coles.......... "seeing" Chelsea, graduating, traveling this summer, then COLLEGE! I love you and I'm so proud of you.
Love,
Mom







Dear Luke,
This weekend should go down as one of the worst for you. You LOVE sports, but bless your heart, you always get hurt, which I know is normal. I did worry for a few minutes that your arm might be broken after your brother threw you onto the burglar bars on the side of the house during your rugby match in the yard. Thankfully it was just bruised (and he really didn't mean to throw you, he said!) and an hour or so with an ice pack brought you round to a full recovery. Then, I was a bit worried when you jammed your finger last night, again playing rugby. It turned purple and swelled up pretty fast. It looks better today. I'm sorry that it's so painful. That all happened on top of the bad gash on your heal from last week and the countless bruises you are accumulating from playing soccer, basketball and rugby and just down right hard playing in general. I'm really glad that you love sports and that you are so active. I love, love, love how you have enjoyed reading the Magicians Nephew and how you spent so much time telling Daddy and me about it this weekend. You are almost finished! I know you have looked a little droopy in the mornings the last few days from staying up late reading, but it makes my heart happy that you couldn't put the book down to go to sleep. I'm sorry that your allergies are so bad right now. I know that they make you so frustrated. And one last thing..... I love how you hold my hand sometimes when we watch TV? Can you do this forever? I don't think your future girlfriend/wife will mind. I love you, Lukie.
Love,
Mom







Dear Charlie,
I love how this picture captured you with your mouth full! I love that you love my cooking and acted hurt that I made fried rice while you were gone Friday night and you only got leftovers. I'm sorry that when you went to the associational meeting this weekend you spent the ENTIRE time shuttling people to the meeting from the main road and also going to pick up (live) chickens and other things for the meal and you never got to attend ANY of the meetings! Part of that was because you also had to leave early to attend the wedding of a friend, but you did because you didn't want to let him down. You were in the car HOURS on Friday and Saturday and you never complained. I love how you are like the energizer bunny and you just keep going - whether it's working when you are exhausted, speaking in Portuguese when you don't know what to say, or loving a wife who has been highly emotional and sad for the last week and a half. I see Jesus in you daily. Thank you for loving all of us and showing us grace and patience. Thank you for the time you spend in God's word and in prayer daily. We are blessed because of your discipline. I want to be like you when I grow up. :-)

I love you,
ang

7 comments:

Deidre said...

Angie, I'm so glad you joined in! I love that your 16 year old still wants to hug you and tell you he loves you. You should be proud (I know you are). Oh, and I have to tell my daughter to put down Ramona during church, too ;)

Bonnie G. said...

Oh my stinkin' goodness. How is it possible to feel such love for people you haven't seen in, what, 3 years? Reading these letters makes my heart overflow with hope of one day having a family like yours, and it makes me feel like I'm right there hearing you read these letters to your kids (and hubby). I love you guys!

Debbie said...

LOVE this post! (Did I say that to your last one, too?!) Totally feel your affection for your gang. Thanks for sharing your life here, Angie.

Love,
-debbie

Kecia said...

That was so precious. I can just see you all in my mind.
I really need to write you a long email. Since we can't meet for coffee.

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

I love that you joined in, Angie. Such sweet words...such a beautiful family. I'm so excited your son is going to OBU!!! Maybe he can go visit Kecia's family on weekends and holidays! And maybe you'll get to visit her too!

Deanna said...

I really like this idea!

Katie said...

I REALLY hope I have a family like yours one day!!