Friday, November 27, 2009

Thankful, Thankful, Thankful

First of all, I want to say thank you again to those who prayed for my Dad who was in the hospital. He returned home yesterday - on Thanksgiving Day! He is very thankful to be home. He is still pretty tired so he's just laying low and hanging out at home.

**********

Yesterday we had a fantastic Thanksgiving celebration with our substitute family. We have lived far away from family for almost 12 years now. God has always been so faithful to provide substitute family to share our lives with. Yesterday we gathered with several other families who are missionaries also - some with our organization and some who work with other ministries. We gathered around a huge table of traditional Thanksgiving food (including 3 turkeys and a ham), read Psalm 100 and prayed a prayer of thanksgiving. The rest of the afternoon consisted of talking, talking, pie and coffee and more talking. Our kids were absolutely filthy at the end of the day from their active play outside, which is always a good thing.
**********

So I leave you with a list of things that I am especially grateful for this holiday season:

*My parents who become dearer and dearer to me with each passing year.
*My husband - I love him more than the day we said "I do" 20 years ago.
*My children - they are just normal kids but they are mine - and I think they are wonderful.
*My friends who bless my heart in so many ways.
*My friend Lucilia. She is also our houseworker and works for us 3 days a week. Her life and testimony just bless my heart. She has taught me a lot about life and culture here as well as what it means to walk by faith and trust God more.
*Chris and Amanda .......friends who are getting married on January 16, 2010 in Ruston, Louisiana. God has been preparing them for each other their whole lives and now they get to tie the knot! Can't wait to experience that in person.
*Getting to eat ham yesterday. Honestly y'all I didn't eat much, but it was so stinking good.
(FYI: Ham here is ultra expensive and hard to find. Some friends bought some in South Africa and brought it to the lunch yesterday. The dish was emptied quickly!)

3 comments:

Mich said...

Glad to hear about your dad...

Loved your Thankful list.

Kecia said...

Your list brought tears to my eyes. I'm so glad you have family-friends in Moz. I love you more than sweet potato casserole with pecans on top!

Gretchen said...

So glad your dad is better. Wonderful list of thankfuls.